Better than Store Bought Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus!
Hummus was an incredible discovery for me when I transitioned to a plant based diet but I soon found it was difficult to find store bought brands without added oil. So, I set out to create a creamy oil free version of my favorite flavor and here it is! Please let us know what you think and share with your friends who are in the same dilemma.
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus Recipe
- 1 roasted Red Bell Pepper
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 TBS of water
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
What to do:
- To roast the bell pepper, wash and cut the bell pepper in half. Remove the seeds and place cut side down on cookie sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. (I used a Breville Smart Oven at 450 degrees, roast option for about 12 minutes.) Standard ovens may take a little longer.
- To roast garlic cloves, peel the garlic cloves and place on cookie sheet with bell pepper. These will roast faster so keep an eye on them. Mine took about 4 minutes and then remove them or you can roast them after the bell peppers are done.
- Combine all the ingredients in a high speed blender starting with smaller amount of water and add more to create desired consistency.
- Remove and serve with cut vegetables, or use as spread on wrap or sandwich!