This is a hearty and delicious soup, that includes so many important vegetables that it’s as healing as it is satisfying!
Black Bean & Kale Soup
- 2 medium onions
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- black pepper to taste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 cups (or 4 15 oz cans) black beans
- 2 cups sweet corn (frozen is fine)
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch Kale, chopped
- a dash or two of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the onions and mushrooms are cooked.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Stir, and cook for 3 minute or so before adding the vegetable broth, 4 cups of beans, and corn. Bring everything to a boil.
- While that’s cooking combine the remaining 4 cups of beans and the crushed tomatoes in a blender, and blend until smooth. Stir the blended beans and tomatoes into the boiling soup mixture, reduce heat to medium.
- Add the chopped kale, and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- If you want to spice it up, which I almost always do, add a little cayenne pepper when serving! Delish!!