I grew up in New Mexico so I was cooking enchiladas by the time I was 8 in the county fair! So when I went to a whole foods plant-based diet I was not about to give up those flavors! Here is my version of a healthy quesadilla. The cashew cheese was a recipe I found on line and the link is here from oneingredientchef.com. I left out most of the salt but adjust as your taste buds desire! Enjoy and let me know if you like it.
1 can black beans, drained
1 medium sized sweet potato, baked or microwaved
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 small Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas
What to do
DO THIS FIRST: Heat oven to broil.
1. Peel the sweet potato and place in bowl.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of drained black beans in the bowl and mash with sweet potato.
3. Add a couple of spoonfuls of black beans, the spices and mix gently.
4. Cut the tortillas in half. Spread a thin to medium layer of mixture on one half of the tortilla and top with the other half.
5. Place in oven for about 3-4 minutes until slightly crispy then flip. You will want to watch these closely. Some broilers cook much faster than others and if the tray is close to the top of the oven that will also cook faster.
6. Make the cashew cheese from here.
7. Place spoonful of cashew cheese on top of quesadilla and enjoy.
8. Optional toppings include diced scallions, cilantro, etc.