This is a delicious Italian delicacy that you can enjoy without the guilt. We’ve removed the cheese, breading, egg, and oil, and replaced the same delicious flavors with power-packed health-promoting plant foods that taste just as delicious.
I’ve served this to friends and family without telling them that it’s not stuffed with cheese, and they almost never realize until they either see me eat it, or I tell them that it’s our healthy version.
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 lb frozen kale, or 1 bunch fresh
- 16 ounces of mushrooms, diced
- 1 batch Tofu Cashew Ricotta (see below)
- 2 jars tomato sauce (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut off top and bottom of eggplant and peel. With a sharp knife, slice ¼ inch slices long ways.
- place a single layer of eggplant slices on a parchment lined pan so it will not stick.
- Heat in oven for approx. 15 minutes, until eggplant is soft and pliable. (repeat steps 3 and 4 as needed until all eggplant slices are softened)
- While the eggplant is baking, water sauté the kale and mushrooms and drain excess liquid.
- Mix the kale and mushrooms with the cashew ricotta (recipe below) in a large bowl.
- Cover the bottom of a lasagna sized pan with tomato sauce.
- Place about a heaping tablespoon of cashew ricotta, kale, and mushroom mixture on a piece of eggplant and roll. Place the roll in the pan.
- Cover the rolls with more tomato sauce when finished.
- Cook for about 50 minutes at 350 degrees, until everything is soft and delicious!
Tofu Cashew Ricotta
- ½ cup raw cashew pieces (approximately 4 ounces)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves fresh or roasted garlic
- 1 pound firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- In a food processor, blend together the cashews, lemon juice, and garlic until a thick creamy paste forms. Add the crumbled tofu to the food processor, working in two or more batches if necessary, until the mixture is thick and well blended. Blend in the basil.